How to stay in touch with family & friends
- Can I use my mobile phone?
- Make sure that you check with your mobile phone provider what your overseas phone and roaming data charges are before making phone calls from abroad or you could end up with costly bills!
- Using an unlocked smart phone with local preloaded sim cards, which can be purchased in Spain, Malta & France, may be a cheaper option for making international phone calls than a UK network provider whilst abroad.
- In Antigua you can buy sim cards which have local 3G minutes included. You can then use these minutes to place calls and messages through the internet.
- Will I be able to get internet connection abroad?
- There are many places such as marinas and cafes which have free or inexpensive wi-fi in most of the ports which you will visit. You can then use a service such a Skype to make phone calls or send send messages using apps.
- Can my family track my yacht’s progress?
- There are apps that allow a yacht’s progress to be tracked both whilst racing and more generally. This is really useful for offshore events such as the ARC and the RORC Caribbean 600 race.
- For tracking the yacht whilst racing it is best to use a dedicated race tracker such as the Yellow Brick race tracker. The yacht will have an AIS which is picked up be satellites and the yacht’s current position and past track will be shown on the app.
- When not involved with a particular race event the yacht’s position can be tracked using the more general tracking apps. Be careful to ensure you have the correct name and sail number to locate the right boat as this method will show all marine traffic anywhere in the world at a given time – it’s surprisingly busy out there!
- The Global Yacht Racing FaceBook page and website will also provide up-to-date information on the yacht’s progress during race events.
- Race events also have dedicated websites provided by the race organisers:
Rolex Middle Sea Race: http://www.rolexmiddlesearace.com
ARC Race: http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/event.aspx
RORC Caribbean 600 Race: http://caribbean600.rorc.org
Antigua Week: http://www.sailingweek.com